Dealing with a flat tire can be a pain. Here are a few tips to get you back on the road.
A recent study has indicated that out of a pool of 2,000 millennials, over 75% of respondents had no idea how to change a tire, meaning that if someone from our generation ends up on the side of the road with a flat tire, the odds are, they’ll be waiting for a tow truck or a service expert instead of just changing it themselves.
With this in mind, we decided to put together a step by step guide to changing a tire for those with little to no experience doing so:
- Make sure your car has a spare tire, jack, and a wrench. If you’re missing any of these items, head to the store and pick them up.
- In the event of a flat tire, pull as far as you can to one side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. Do your best to stay away from hills and curves. Do not drive for a prolonged amount of time on a flat tire, as this will damage the wheel and create even bigger problems.
- Remove the hubcap if you have one, and break the lug nuts slightly loose with your wrench.
- With the lug nuts properly loosened, you can use your jack to start raising the car off the ground. Raise it until the tire spins freely and has a little room to spare between it and the ground.
- Start removing lug nuts from the tire (pro tip: putting them in your hubcap reduces your chances of losing them).
- Pull the tire off of the car, and replace it with your spare, making sure to push it in as far as possible.
- Replace the lug nuts and tighten them until snug.
- Lower your car to the ground and tighten the lug nuts as much as possible in a crisscross (not circular) pattern.
- Pop the hubcap back onto the tire, put your gear in the trunk, and get back on the road!
If you think your tires may be in need of repair, or if you think you might just need to new ones, don’t wait for the worst to happen! Come to Matt Bowers Nissan NOLA and let our service experts help you with all of your repair and maintenance needs. Our passion is getting you where you need to go safely and in style.
Whether you’re just coming in for a check up, or you’re looking to get behind the wheel of one of our amazing new or pre-owned vehicles, Matt Bowers Nissan NOLA has you covered!